Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Plaid/Waist/Garibaldi Outfit!!

Here is the background of my latest full outfit. To start off with, here's a Godey's plate from August 1862. I'll be sporting it starting in the end of May '62, but that's close enough as far as I'm concerned. Besides, I'm sure it will be worn in August as well!

See the lady in the middle with the black waist and
pink skirt? Bingo! That'll be me, with a few alterations...

Here is a similar photographic representation:

Hartford, Ct
Think this, except with a plaid skirt
with a big-ish pleated hem. It'll be rockin'.
(I also like the same-color bodice and skirt...
maybe for another outfit someday?!)

I really like the Swiss Waists with the shoulder straps, and happened to have some extra burgundy taffeta lying around. As soon as I realized how well it would go with my new plaid skirt... destiny! Looking at some other period examples of similar waists, I chose to do a neckline closer to the photo than to the plate. And a little bias-cut self trimming never did anyone any harm, additionally evidenced by this stylish young lady. I also find the little bowtie on the tintype completely adorable, and plan to add one to my finished outfit.

The final result will largely be a cross between these two images: the contrasting waist and trimmed skirt from the plate, and the shape and decoration of the waist from the tintype. I'm so excited!! The waist is all cut out, but I haven't started assembling it yet. The plaid skirt has a couple of feet of pleating left to set, but all of the fabric is cut and hemmed. I ran a couple feet short on velvet ribbon, but reinforcements are in the mail and should come by this weekend. (Boy, did I undershoot for this project... I usually overestimate, not underestimate!) I have to put another sleeve on my garibaldi blouse, and shorten the one that's already on, as it's a little longer than I would like. All in all, there's a bit left to do, but it's definitely manageable, as I have over a week left. Hopefully I'll also have time to touch up my black swiss dot dress as well, so I can debut that too!

1862 trendiness, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment